Sunday, February 12, 2012

ETEC 524: Reflection #4

In the article, Electronic Portfolios as Digital Stories of Deep Learning, I most closely identified with the fact that assessment for learning should take account of the importance of (and foster) learner motivation. I have been a student my whole life and I can count on one hand when learner motivation might have been considered or was specifically sought to accomplish learning outcomes or objectives. I recall pulling together performance binders in AP courses to use for course evaluations in high school. However, I do not recall any results stemming from the review of the course portfolios. At most 3 or 4 of the assessment for learning (AFL) principles were part of the portfolio process.

Creating an ePortfolio for the Educational Technology program will help develop my learning on various levels. The first level is a basic understanding of accomplishment and the tangible items developed throughout the program. The articles of learning and reflections for each course exemplify AFL principle on developing a self-assessment. As a graduate student I feel this is essential to my growth as a potential Ph.D. student and new professional. On another level the ePortfolio will allow for me to receive constructive feedback on how to improve as I transition into the professional workforce. More importantly, as a learner the ePortfolio is giving me something to walk away with and display to potential employers. The ePortfolio could serve, in whole or part, as a job seeking resume and portfolio in order to obtain a position in the field. Potential employers can view examples of my instructional design, my theory and philosophies in the field and understand the programs effect on me as a student and new professional.

View the beginnings of my ePortfolio here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled you're seeing the portfolio as a marketing tool for yourself!

    ReplyDelete