Sunday, January 29, 2012

ETEC 524: Reflection #2

I chose to look at the International Society for Technology in Education because the organization is more comprehensive and respected in the field than others I looked at. ISTE has a very thorough strategic plan outlining their values, mission and the organization's objectives. The focus of the organization is on advocacy, diversity, collaboration and advancing teaching through technology. The mission is, "ISTE advances excellence in learning and teaching through innovative and effective uses of technology." The vision is, "ISTE is globally recognized as the premier partner in advancing educational excellence through innovative learning, teaching, and leadership. We are a diverse worldwide community of educational leaders actively creating a world in which all learners can achieve their creative and intellectual potential."

My definition of educational technology is the facilitation of learning using hardware, software or other technological means to complete tasks and processes for one's advancement of knowledge. I chose this definition because it correlates the relationship between technology and education but does not constrain "educational technology" to a classroom or formal learning environment while still building a teacher/learner relationship in the delivery.

Below you will find my concept map demonstrating a relationship of various sources including my philosophy and definition of educational technology, in addition to language from ISTE's website and Rey Junco's article on The Effect of Twitter on College Student Engagement and Grades.



I really liked how this one separated out "technology" but I felt it was disconnected so I ran Wordle through again.



A snapshot of my brain in this course.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree - the second one is better! You want technology to be embedded, not separate!

    ReplyDelete