Friday, December 16, 2011

ETEC 561: Section 7- New Directions for Instructional Design and Technology

Reusability 
While completing my MBA I had the pleasure of completing a few accounting courses (notice the tone). When I logged into the course using an online LMS I noticed very few materials. We were to acquire the text, complete quizzes and exams via a third party website and listen to MP3 pre-recorded lectures. I considered this one of the most un-reusable courses I've ever completed. It should be noted that this course was a foundation course for more advanced accounting concepts. The result was two assets which were limited in learning functionality since the MP3 recordings were a one-way communication tool with no "bookmarks" and a lengthy text book that was not integrated clearly into the tasks which were being asked of the learners. I would have preferred that the audio had been coupled with a visual (I'm deaf, visual clues are a major PLUS) aid that allowed for tracking the audio and providing context.

The learning component was executed through a third party broken down by chapter which allowed the learners to focus on one section at a time and allowed for possible reusability since the material was reviewable with the correct answers once the assignment was completed. Oftentimes I printed the results out and kept them on file for future accounting courses. I would have loved some informational objects referencing formulas, forms, tables and processes to be used in "real life". Upon completion of the course I was underwhelmed by the amount of materials I could "take away" with me.



Rich Media
Rich media allows users to relate learning subjects or topics to visual or audio context points. I've provided two versions of a How-To for the popular educational tool, Voicethread. The video was originally created for another course and the PDF version was created just for this blog post. Both of these examples are graphic representationals of Voicethread. As the text states studies show that the surface features of photos and text and video have similar results in learning. Learners with physical or learning disabilities may have a stronger preference or need than other learners.


Below is an image of the PDF. Click the image to download the PDF document.



Nanotechnology
I would love to see nanotechnology technology expand to GPS. As the text mentions Warwick used nanotechnology to implement a series of tasks. I dislike getting lost as the next person and having to use an external device is cumbersome. Walking around in Manhattan with my smartphone or while driving is clumsy. The idea of determining my destiny through a thought or nervous system action is more appealing. While images of "big brother" and Minority Report come into play imagine how many lives could also be saved. From those who are kidnapped, lost in the mountains, etc. They may even be able to detect/report the conditions of the human body (body temperature, distress, alive/deceased, etc.).

The Future of ID
I was in high school when I knew I was a "designer" and "teacher" by nature with no inclination as to what instructional design is/was. I think there are amateurs and professionals in the field in combination with best practices and mastery of research and theory. Are you only an ID professional if you have a degree in the field? I would have to disagree because through history we know that access to education is not mutually exclusive to ability or knowledge level. We would be at a loss of some great products and businesses if this was true. Are ideal candidates individuals with a working knowledge of theory, research and skill? Of course! I would love a basketball player who can dribble, dunk and do a crossover layup. As individuals in the job market it is important not only to embrace all aspects of the field and education but to emphasize how we are versatile and understand the blueprint of instructional design and learning processes. As budget dollars become tighter and under a more watchful eye assessment is the buzzword of ID and our actions on the university level. Having a "proper" education helps me as a designer or manager understand how to evaluate and measure effectiveness to justify the position, the work and the need for an education in theory and research.


Closing notes:
This is the last blog for the ETEC 561 course. Check back in January for more on social media, educational technology and student affairs awesomeness. Have a safe holiday season and new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment