Thursday, March 31, 2011

What I learned at school today...

When I became a professional I thought I had reached the finish line. 
What I didn't know was that I had just begun the most grueling, intensive, exclusive, living-off-a-high marathon ever. 
For the last eight years I have been training for this marathon. 
I have a funny feeling that this marathon does not end in 26.2 miles. 


So today I learned that there are eight different intelligences.
Eight different ways to learn, see the world, collaborate, grow and teach.
These are not boxes of identity but tools to overcome the boxes of identity and a road map to becoming more comprehensive.


Today I learned that education does not stop on the stage. 
I understand now that "professional development" simply means that we go to class with no grade.
However, no grade does not mean there's no test. 
To which there are many.


This test may come at four in the morning or it may be four years from now.
Some say we must act now!
Some say the future is ours... or yours... or theirs...


So I cut out my graphic organizers, create my soundtracks, snap pictures, solve logic puzzles, go on a hike, have an intimate conversation, create a budget, work on a team project, yearn to be heard and watch so I can listen.


I am thankful that this race has just begun. 
I am in mile one and mile two will sneak up on me soon.
But for tonight I will watch the moon.


While I listen...
to voices of our youth in the hall
music playing above my head
keyboards tapping
and doors knocking.


I live with the future and this is test one.
Listen and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment